Monday 22 October 2012

My Story

New Year Spell
Encounter with a Black Magician
I was married off quite young and as such my marriage suffered problems from the onset. My mother in law was adamant that a potion from a black magician would cure my ill heart and ward off any evil spirits that were preventing me from making a go of my marriage. 


We travelled a great distance to see a black magician or an amil as he's called in Pakistan. The amil was a short middle aged man dressed in simple clothes and long beaded necklaces. I quite distinctly remember his small odd looking fingers full with rings and that far away look in his eyes. He did not make eye contact but continued moving his pen in a  circular motion on some paper. I was told later this enabled him to predict things about people.The room was filled with mostly women all awaiting their turn. One woman was insisting her continuous stomach problems were due to a black magic spell which she wanted removed. Another woman wanted to use the occult in order to break up the marriage of her son who she felt was giving more time to his wife then herself. She wanted something which would make her daughter in-law extremely ill so that their marriage would collapse. What amazed me was that it didn't deter her to know that the other people in the room could hear this conversation. Black magic appeared to be a large part of these people’s lives, which they seemed to resort to as a normal means of resolving everyday problems.

When our turn finally came, the amil handed me pieces of paper with something written on them, which I had been instructed to soak in water and then to drink the water. I was quite young and petrified about what might happen to me. Afraid for my life, I decided to deceive my mother in law into believing I had performed this ritual by pretending that I had done exactly what the man had said and luckily my mother in law didn't suspect anything. My marriage eventually broke down completely and ended in divorce. Was the magician genuine or just a fraud? Would things have been different if I had gone through with the ritual? I will never know. It was this experience that prompted me to look further into the issue of black magic.

5 comments:

  1. Your story is heart breaking. I can't believe some Muslims can be deeply influenced by black magic. As far as I know Islam does not allow the concept of Magic. In your future can you shed some light on the concept of magic and why it is forbidden in Islam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many religions condemn the use of black magic, especially Islam as you have mentioned. Hopefully I will cover this topic in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not surprised to read your story. Not only does this thing happen in Pakistan but is also common in England. I have a friend who was going through a troubled marriage and visited many people in the Birmingham area who also gave her paper that had been written on and she had to use in the same way. She was very willing to do this . One man also asked her to visit him alone as she was taking a family member with her. This made her suspicious of him so she stopped going to him but it did not put her off visiting others.

    I also know friends and family members who contact people in Pakistan when They need an answer to something or have had something stolen. The person who they get in touch with has a way of finding out who has taken the stolen item through magic. People believe in these magic ways so much that even if you explain to them that Islam does not allow this sort of thing they they think they know best and to them the magician word seems to come before the word of Allah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you relate demonstrates how vulnerable people can become when they are in a desperate situation. It also highlights the fact that visiting unreliable and untrustworthy men especially like the one that you have mentioned can be dangerous. I hope your friend can find some knowledgeable person who can give her advice in accordance with Islamic teachings.

      Delete
  4. I know this sort of thing happens a lot in Pakistan and it happens all over the world. Your story is a clear example of use of black in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete